My first experience with the toilet paper game was on an excruciatingly hot Saturday night, in the middle of August, on the fourth floor residence hall at Illinois State University. I was homesick as all get out, and had spent the whole day crying, trying to reasonably uncouple myself from my sisters. I'd raised them from nothing, and, so... letting go was really hard on me.
I wasn't in the mood for games, you know? But that didn't stop our RA from plunking us down. She pulled out a fresh roll, carefully undid a few sheets, wrapping them around her hand, and then passed it on. A few of the girls said they'd played before at camp. They took no more than three or four sheets. For those of us new to the process, though, we grabbed more.
I remember. I grabbed nine sheets.
After we'd collected the goods, the RA broke the news to us, and said that for each sheet we'd taken, we'd need to come up with one fact to tell the group about ourselves.
It doesn't sound like an overwhelming task, but in truth? Sad, alone, and more than a little afraid, coming up with nine things seemed like the math part of the SATs!
I'll be a son of a gun, though, if by the end of that night, everything didn't change.
So! In the spirit of fun, and getting to know one another, for those who say, "Me!" or some variation of "I'm in!", I'll give you a number (between 1-9 (in the spirit of "OMG!" ;D)) that I've randomly generated, and YOU can give US that number of selfie-born facts! Yes? Yes!
And, as a good sport, I'll go with a current 9 myself!
1. I'm participating in NANO for only the second time in my life. I'm still not going to win, so I can't cross that one off my bucket list, yet, but I'm trying!
2. My husband and I celebrated our 15th anniversary this year (our twentieth together)! It's unreal to me that in five more years we'll have been married for 20! Maybe even unrealer is how much we still love one another!
3. Those girls I could barely bring myself to leave in the early 90s... well, they have girls (and a boy!) of their own! I'm an auntie, and the best one EVER! Now, that's a fact! ;D
4. Jeremy (the husband) and I moved to Austin, TX at the end of 2013. We built a home on the outskirts of the city (in the "country"), which just celebrated its first year, too! We're truly blessed.
5. I've been having so much fun decorating the house, myself, finding the materials and the mocking up my own designs! Years and years of putting color palettes together for journal designs (a thousand+ now), and all I can say is that it's experience that didn't go to waste! =D Huzzah!
6. I just started FO4! Is there anyone who hasn't? ;D
7. I fill my spare time with volunteer work that I do around the Austin area, and I have so much fun doing it! One of the most surprising is the work I've done for LIVESTRONG.
8. Right now, I'm writing from the cute, tiny, and extremely Steampunked office I built in my walk-in closet! I love it!!
9. I can't wait for the competitive thrill and sometimes overwhelming challenge that is therealljidol. I wish everyone so much luck! If there's ever anything I can do to help, please... give a yell. =D